Thursday, April 30, 2009

Big Damn Book Of Sheer Manliness

I bought this Big Damn Book Of Sheer Manliness, by the Von Hoffmann Bros. about 12 years ago. If you can't smell the sea breeze and the woodsmoke, or feel the grit and sweat as you read the book, well, you might as well put a bumper sticker on your vehicle that says "Hey fellas, I'm a homo".

It's a great book - everything from football, billiards, barbecuing, drinking, fireworks, B-17's, pinups, and even Von Dutch and the 100 top manly movies of all time, to just touch on a few of the chapters, which are all vividly illustrated. Have you ever seen a pickup-mounted potato cannon?? It's out of print, but Alibris and Amazon have it, but it's cheaper if you can find it in a used bookstore - and you should! Find it, buy it, and enjoy it.

The very first chapter in the book is What Guys Know - A Bombastic Manifesto. One of the sections in this chapter is "What Guys Know About Fighting", and it goes like this:
"A man will encounter from time to time a brother who isn't just asking, but begging, indeed, crying out to have his ass kicked. It is your honor bound duty to accommodate him, and at any given moment that brother may be you or me."

4 comments:

tiptopdadddy said...

My son has that book. An excellent bathroom read!

mindpill said...

good to see you back writing....... saw you at the bash but decided to keep my distance....

Irish Rich said...

What? You should have stepped up and said hello.

Seems a lot of guys did the same as you, what's up with that? I brushed my teeth, and put on deodorant and everything. That's why I went out, to meet everybody, and put faces with names.

Don't do that again.....

Anonymous said...

Rich,
This is awesome. I love how everything on your blog is just SO you! By the way...what is this months book club read? I want to catch up...the month is almost over!