Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Hi honey, I'm hooooome....

Yeah, I suck, it's been awhile since I've posted up on here. Work rolls in here at least weekly, and I've been busier than a one-legged man in an asskicking contest. '09 was a busy year for me, and '10 has been great so far, and shows no signs of slowing down.

Anyways, I'll try and get all you followers something to look at that's new up here on a more timely basis.

Remember when I asked Jaluv next time he went by Dick Allen's old Normandie shop to snap some photos of what it looked like today? If you'll search back some in the posts, you'll see some "then & now's" courtesy of Jahluv. Lookie what he sent me about a week ago.

Jahluv works in the City of Montery Park, CA , and he was going by the old site of Buchanans there in that city, before they moved up to Azusa. Monterey Park is framed by the 10, the 710, and the 60 in L.A.

This is the building where they used to make spokes, build wheels, straighten, repair, and rake frames, and extend glide and springer front ends. A lot of work going on inside this small building at one time, huh? Too bad they sold all the frame tables and the springer jigs when they made the move up to Azusa.
Jahluv, thanks for thinking of me, and sending these photos that I could share with everyone. I'll see you at the Born Free show!

I know I have some shots of the exterior of Buchanans as it looked in the late '60's someplace around this firetrap, but I can't find them! When I do, I'll post them up. In the meantime, here's a scan of the '71 catalog I have, and the inside page, showing the shop's interior.
If you'd like, take a look at Jahluv's blog, for a unique perspective:
http://community.afropunk.com/profiles/blog/list?user=194lwap3ugt9
And, here's the link to Buchanans, still the best spokes and wheels in the business:
http://www.buchananspokes.net/

No comments: