Tuesday, January 4, 2011

"Beat me Daddy......eight to the bar!"

Part-timer Steve took a short photo essay while we were mounting Donnie's rear fender and making up his sissy bar for his '99 Softail we hardtailed a couple weeks ago. You can see the sissy bar story here:
http://speedandglory.blogspot.com/

People always ask if I can make and send them a sissy bar long distance. I don't have any jigs that I form my bars around, I free-hand bend each bar I make to fit the client's exact fender, frame, and wheel component combination. I figure out how high the bar needs to be, cut my material to length, make a soapstone center mark, fire up the torch, and go from there. That's something I can't do from 1,000 mi. away.

No two sissy bars are ever bent the same, or mount the same - they're all just a little bit different from each other, and that's what makes them unique.

1 comment:

J-Rod said...

I've never been a fan of making a sissy bar work on a bike. It tends to leave gaps and look unsightly.