Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Some spare time, so.....

Seems like every part I order is on intergalactic backorder, so while we wait on the parts that are supposed to be here tomorrow and Friday...... 
Part-timer Steve and I pulled the Shovel out of my project, and fitted those georgeous finned rockerboxes from Throwback Motorcycles on today. These are some special boxes to me, they carry "0001" for the production number. That means these were the first set out the door.
We dropped the bare boxes onto the studs, and like I thought might be the case, we had a little internal interference with the valve spring collars on the inside walls of the castings. These box castings are beefy, so a little work with the die grinder gave us the right amount of clearance. Zip-zip, they dropped right into place.

I also need to say, that because my set were "0001", you won't have to do this, as Josh has informed me that  they come with that little bit of additional clearance machined into them now from Throwback,  and they're ready for you to drop right on.
The heads also received a Cera-cote "fresh blast" coating, and a fresh 3 angle valve job. Not a bad looking 86" motor, huh? 
Now, if Colony will only ship all my hardware for the rockerboxes......
Throwback Cycles also has a nice cast "bird deflector" available, that matches their finned rocker boxes to a "T". I'm going to use a NOS Custom Cycle Engineering finned teardrop deflector, that came from Randy before he passed on.

2 comments:

huduguru said...

These look nice--glad to hear they're thicker. I'll have to get a close-up when I come out--well done, Rich!

WhitelinePsycho said...

Good to know Rich, and they look the bomb, a few more weeks and I'll get cracking on mine and Josh's finbox's will have pride of place on top of the '74/74, all down to your blurb from a year back, ta muchly mate.